Sachin Bansal is one of India’s most successful entrepreneurs, best known as the co-founder of Flipkart, India’s largest e-commerce company.
With a current net worth of $1.3 billion, Sachin Bansal has become one of India’s youngest self-made billionaires.
In this blog, we look at Sachin Bansal net worth and his journey from a middle-class boy to one of India’s richest men.
Table of Contents
Sachin Bansal Net Worth in Rupees – From Flipkart Founder to Billionaire
Sachin Bansal’s net worth is estimated to be around $1.3 billion (Rs. 1,07,93,57,50,000) as of January 2024, according to Forbes.
The majority of his wealth comes from the sale of his stake in Flipkart to Walmart in 2018.
At Flipkart’s peak valuation of $20.8 billion in 2018, Sachin Bansal’s 5.5% stake was worth close to $1 billion.
When Walmart acquired a 77% stake in Flipkart for $16 billion that year, Bansal cashed out by selling his majority stake to Walmart.
The Flipkart Story
According to the flipkart story, Sachin Bansal co-founded Flipkart in 2007 along with Binny Bansal (no relation).
Starting out as an online bookstore, Flipkart steadily grew to become India’s largest e-commerce marketplace.
The Bansals started Flipkart with just $6,000 of their own savings. Operating out of a small apartment in Bangalore, they oversaw everything from building the website to sourcing books and delivering orders.
Flipkart’s big breakthrough came in 2010 when it raised $1 million in venture funding.
Over the next few years, Flipkart expanded its product range and raised bigger funding rounds to fuel its growth.
By 2016, Flipkart had become a household name in India’s booming e-commerce market.
With access to deep-pocketed investors like Softbank and Tiger Global, Flipkart could afford to burn cash to acquire customers and battle rivals like Amazon.
Flipkart’s Blockbuster Sale to Walmart
After more than a decade of leading Flipkart, the Bansals decided to cash out by selling a majority stake to US retail giant Walmart in 2018.
Valued at $20.8 billion, the Walmart-Flipkart deal was the world’s biggest acquisition of an e-commerce firm at that time. It made Sachin Bansal an instant billionaire.
While Binny Bansal stayed on after the acquisition, Sachin Bansal exited Flipkart completely.
He reportedly wanted to remain in control as CEO but had to leave after Walmart took over.
Sachin Bansal net worth zoomed to $1 billion after he sold his 5.5% stake to Walmart as part of the deal.
It was a remarkable return on investment considering Flipkart was started with just $6,000 eleven years back.
Who is the Owner of Flipkart Now?
Today, Flipkart is majority owned by Walmart which holds around 80.5% stake in the company. The remainder is held by existing investors like Tencent, Tiger Global, Microsoft, and others.
Binny Bansal, who was named Group CEO after the Walmart takeover, also sold part of his stake and exited Flipkart in 2018 after allegations of personal misconduct.
Neither of the original co-founders remains involved in Flipkart’s operations now. But the e-commerce firm they launched 15 years back continues to be India’s most valued internet startup.
Sachin Bansal’s Other Investments
After leaving Flipkart, Sachin Bansal turned investor and put $100 million into ride-hailing firm Ola Cabs in 2019.
He is also an early investor in over a dozen other startups across sectors like fintech, logistics, and education.
Some of his major investments have been in companies like Ola, GREY Orange, Ather Energy, Unacademy, and SigTuple.
Overall, Bansal has invested around $200 million of his Flipkart windfall into various Indian startups since 2018.
His aim is to back promising entrepreneurs and give back to the startup ecosystem.
Sachin Bansal’s Latest Venture – Navi Technologies
While Sachin Bansal continues to invest in startups, his main focus now is building his own fintech firm called Navi Technologies.
He founded Navi in 2018 to pursue his goal of financial inclusion in India.
Navi offers digital banking services, microfinance, and insurance products targeted at middle-class customers not served by traditional banks. It aims to leverage technology to make financial products more accessible.
In 2022, Navi Technologies filed for an IPO aiming to raise ₹3,350 crore. When listed, Navi could become one of Sachin Bansal’s most valuable assets apart from his startup investments.
Sachin Bansal Education and Early Life
Now let’s take a look at Sachin Bansal’s early life and education,
- Sachin Bansal was born on 5th August 1981 in Chandigarh, India.
- He graduated from IIT Delhi in 2005 with a degree in Computer Science and Engineering.
- After a short stint at Techspan, he joined Amazon Web Services as a software engineer in 2006.
- Bansal quit Amazon in 2007 to start Flipkart with Binny Bansal.
- He married Priya Bansal, a dentist, and they have one son together.
Sachin Bansal’s Net Worth Summary
To summarize, here are some key highlights about Sachin Bansal’s net worth according to forbes,
- Current net worth – $1.3 billion as of January 2024
- Main source of wealth – Sale of 5.5% stake in Flipkart to Walmart in 2018
- Flipkart peak valuation – $20.8 billion in 2018 when Walmart acquired it
- Wealth gained from Flipkart – Close to $1 billion from selling stake
- Investments in other startups – Over $200 million into Ola, GREY Orange, etc
- New fintech venture – Navi Technologies, aiming for 2022 IPO
- Education – IIT Delhi, Computer Science Engineering
Key Takeaways from Sachin Bansal’s Journey
Sachin Bansal’s rags-to-riches journey offers some key lessons for aspiring entrepreneurs,
- With determination and perseverance, big success is possible even with modest beginnings.
- Identifying early opportunities like e-commerce in India allowed Flipkart to enjoy the first-mover advantage.
- Innovation and customer focus were key pillars of Flipkart’s success.
- Sachin Bansal’s partnership with Binny Bansal was crucial for Flipkart’s growth.
- His hunger to continue investing after the Flipkart exit shows his passion for building businesses.
Sachin Bansal net worth proves that with the right vision and execution, success is possible in technology businesses even within a decade.
His journey is sure to inspire the next generation of Indian entrepreneurs.
Here is the list of frequently asked questions about Sachin Bansal.
Flipkart co-founder Binny Bansal has a net worth of around $1.4 billion currently, after selling his stake in Flipkart.
Sachin Bansal sold his stake of 5.5% in Flipkart to Walmart in 2018 for $1 billion as part of Flipkart’s acquisition, to exit while reaping great returns on his investment.
Sachin Bansal founded and runs Navi Technologies, which has businesses in the fintech, insurance, and microfinance sectors.
Binny Bansal’s parents are Satya Prakash Agarwal and Kiran Bansal
Since 2018, Kalyan Krishnamurthy has served as the CEO of the Flipkart Group.
Kalyan Krishnamurthy is the current CEO of Flipkart. His exact salary is not publicly disclosed. Reports estimate his annual salary to be between Rs 60 lakhs to 800 lakhs, along with stock options and bonuses.
Browse More Resources:
- Deepinder Goyal Net Worth in 2024: The Journey of Zomato’s Visionary CEO
- Bhavish Aggarwal Net Worth – The Success Story of Ola Cabs Founder
- Amit Agarwal Blogger Net Worth and His Keys to Success as India’s Top Blogger
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma Net Worth: The Billionaire Founder of Paytm
- Ritesh Agarwal Net Worth: The Youngest Indian Billionaire Behind OYO Rooms
- Money Matters: Kunal Shah Net Worth 2024 and CRED’s Evolution
Sachin Bansal’s story shows how vision, customer focus, and execution can build a unicorn startup in a short time span.
Sachin Bansal serves as an inspiration for aspiring Indian entrepreneurs that success is achievable if one starts early, dreams big, and stays determined.
His continued investments highlight his passion for enabling other startups.
Bansal’s net worth proves that in the digital age, technology ventures can scale rapidly to create tremendous value.