Ronnie Screwvala, the founder of UpGrad and RSVP Movies, is all set to join the judges’ panel on Shark Tank India Season 3.
With a current net worth of over Rs 12,800 crore, Screwvala is considered the richest film producer in India.
Let’s take a closer look at Ronnie Screwvala net worth and how he built his business empire.
Table of Contents
Ronnie Screwvala Net Worth: From Toothbrushes to Billion-dollar Companies
Screwvala started small – he began as a toothbrush manufacturer in the 1970s. In 1981, he entered the entertainment business by launching a cable TV service in Mumbai.
The major turning point came in 1990 when Screwvala started UTV with an initial investment of just Rs 37,500. He steadily built UTV into a media powerhouse involved in TV production, broadcasting, and filmmaking.
Some of the biggest hits bankrolled by UTV include blockbusters like Swades, Rang De Basanti, Jodha Akbar, Barfi, and more.
The production house won numerous National and Filmfare awards under Screwvala’s leadership.
In 2012, The Walt Disney Company acquired UTV for a whopping ₹2000 crores, earning Screwvala a massive payday. This single deal contributed enormously to his current net worth.
Post the UTV sale, Screwvala launched RSVP Movies in 2014, which has since produced hits like Uri and Kedarnath.
But entertainment is not his only area of interest. In 2015, Screwvala co-founded upGrad, an online higher education company focused on professionals. Valued at over $2 billion, upGrad adds huge value to Ronnie Screwvala net worth.
He has also invested in various startups through his investment firm Unilazer Ventures. Screwvala is among the top investors in India currently.
Ronnie Screwvala Net Worth in Indian Rupees: Just How Rich is He?
Ronnie Screwvala net worth stands at ₹12,800 crore, making him the richest film producer in India currently.
To put his net worth in perspective,
- Screwvala is the only billionaire in the Indian film industry. No other producer comes close in terms of personal wealth.
- Screwvala has built his fortune entirely through his own business ventures. He does not come from an affluent family or dynastic background.
- ₹12,800 crore net worth makes Screwvala among the 100 richest Indians right now according to Hurun Rich List.
- Very few people in the media and entertainment space can claim to be self-made billionaires like Screwvala. His journey reflects his sharp business acumen.
Clearly, Ronnie Screwvala is in a league of his own when it comes to net worth amongst film producers. The scale of his success makes him the richest producer in Bollywood.
Early Life of Ronnie Screwvala
- Ronnie Screwvala was born in Mumbai, India into a Parsi family.
- His father worked for British companies (British firm J L Morrison and Smith & Nephew).
- Screwvala went to school and college in Mumbai (Cathedral and John Connon School and Sydenham College).
- Screwvala liked acting in plays as a hobby while in school. He played major roles in famous plays like Shakespeare’s Othello and Death of a Salesman.
Personal Life of Ronnie Screwvala
- Screwvala is married to Zarina Mehta, his second wife.
- Zarina helped start the media company UTV with Screwvala.
- Screwvala’s first wife was Manjula Nanavati.
They have a daughter named Trishya Screwvala. Trishya runs her own non-profit organization called The Lighthouse Project. She is married to sports commentator Suhail Chandhok.
Ronnie Screwvala – A Seasoned Entrepreneur Joins Shark Tank India as New Judge for Season 3
Shark Tank India has announced the addition of a new judge/shark for its upcoming 3rd season – Ronnie Screwvala.
The announcement came from SonyLIV, which streams Shark Tank India. They stated that Screwvala’s inclusion will help elevate the entrepreneurial spirit in Season 3.
As co-founder and chairperson of edtech startup UpGrad, Screwvala brings tremendous experience in building successful companies. This experience and his insights will enrich the judging panel on Shark Tank.
Screwvala’s track record as an entrepreneur and investor makes him a valuable addition to the show. He can assess business ideas and provide guidance to aspiring entrepreneurs.
Overall, Shark Tank India aims to set new benchmarks for the Indian startup space in its 3rd season. And Ronnie Screwvala’s appointment as a judge aligns well with this objective. His wealth of experience will be invaluable for the participants.
Here are some commonly asked questions about Indian film producer Ronnie Screwvala.
Ronnie Screwvala is one of the wealthiest Indian film producers with a net worth of around Rs 12,800 crore. He founded production houses UTV and RSVP Movies.
Ronnie Screwvala founded UTV Group, RSVP Movies, Swades Foundation, Unilazer Ventures, and serves on the Board of Advisors for AIESEC India and as Chairman of upGrad.
The Swades Foundation focusing on rural development was founded by Ronnie Screwvala.
Ronnie Screwvala is 67 years old, born on 8th September 1956.
Browse More Resources:
- Shark Tank India Season 3 Judges Net Worth: Who Holds the Top Spot?
- Azhar Iqubal Net Worth 2024: How He Went from IIT Dropout to Shark Tank Judge
- Ritesh Agarwal Net Worth 2024: The Youngest Indian Billionaire Behind OYO Rooms
- Peyush Bansal Net Worth 2024: A Journey from Startup to Billionaire
- Deepinder Goyal Net Worth in 2024: The Journey of Zomato’s Visionary CEO
- Amit Jain Net Worth 2024: From Car Dekho To Shark, This Man Makes Millions
- Nithin Kamath Net Worth: 2024 Edition
- Varun Dua Net Worth Check 2024: ACKO Insurance Boss
- Radhika Gupta Net Worth Check 2024: Edelweiss Mutual Fund CEO
Final Thoughts about Ronnie Screwvala Net Worth 2024
Ronnie Screwvala’s journey from a small business to billionaire is truly inspiring.
Through smart investments, he built a huge Rs 12,800 crore fortune. As the richest Bollywood producer with multiple successful companies, Screwvala has proven his entrepreneur skills.
His addition as judge on Shark Tank India Season 3 is valuable. With experience scaling up companies and finding potential, Screwvala can guide aspiring entrepreneurs.
His business insights will make Season 3 more enriching. Overall, Screwvala’s inclusion reflects Shark Tank India’s aim to boost the startup ecosystem in India.