Nithin Kamath is the co-founder and CEO of Zerodha, India’s largest stock brokerage firm.
Along with his brother Nikhil Kamath, he founded Zerodha in 2010 with the goal of disrupting the stockbroking industry in India.
In just over a decade, Zerodha has achieved tremendous success, and Nithin Kamath net worth in 2024 stands at an impressive $2.7 billion.
In this blog, we take a closer look at Nithin Kamath’s background, career, and Zerodha’s success.
Table of Contents
Nithin Kamath Net Worth Story – From Middle-class Roots to India’s Top Fintech Entrepreneur
Nithin Kamath was born in 1979 in Bengaluru, India. He comes from a middle-class family – his father worked as an executive at Canara Bank while his mother was a homemaker.
After schooling in Bengaluru, Kamath completed his Bachelor’s degree at Bangalore Institute of Technology.
Kamath first started trading stocks when he was 17 years old while working night shifts at a call center that paid him Rs. 8,000 monthly.
After completing his degree, Nithin briefly worked at a call center but soon left to become a full-time stock trader.
From 2001 to 2004, he was a senior telesales executive at Manipal Infocom where he traded stocks during the day and did telesales at night.
He then became a proprietary trader from 1997 to 2001, trading stocks full-time while still registered as a college student.
In 2004, he started his own retail brokerage franchise called Kamath Associates as a partnership firm. This gave him experience in portfolio management for high-net-worth individuals.
The Birth of Zerodha
In 2010, Nithin founded Zerodha along with his brother Nikhil Kamath. The mission was to make stock trading accessible and affordable to the masses.
The word “Zerodha” combines “zero” and the Sanskrit word “rodha” meaning “barrier”.
Within a few years, Zerodha gained huge popularity and became India’s largest retail stockbroker.
Zerodha’s over 10 million clients contribute to this significant market share by trading and investing in futures and options, commodity derivatives, currency derivatives, stocks, IPOs, direct mutual funds, as well as bonds and government securities on Zerodha’s platforms.
The wide range of investment products offered by Zerodha has attracted a diverse client base of retail investors, significantly contributing to daily trading volumes across major Indian exchanges.
Zerodha Company Valuation Today
Zerodha, headquartered in Bengaluru, India, has grown rapidly to a valuation of $3.6 billion as of September 2023.
From just $257,000 in annual revenue in March 2022, Zerodha generated a whopping $857 million in revenue by March 2023. Zerodha has invested in 25 companies to date.
This online stockbroker and fintech company has quickly become India’s largest retail brokerage firm within a decade of its founding.
Its exponential growth demonstrates the vast potential of Indian fintech and stock trading markets.
Nithin Kamath Salary and Investments
Nithin Kamath salary from Zerodha includes the following components:
- Basic salary: Rs 4.16 crore per month
- House rent allowance: Rs 2 crore
- Other perquisites: Rs 1.6 crore
- Other allowances: Rs 41 lakh
- Bonus and variable pay
A significant portion of Nithin’s wealth also comes from his personal investments and trading activity.
He is an active angel investor and has made 17 investments including Licious, and Ultrahuman.
Some of his notable investments include Digio, Smallcase, Practo, and PaySense.
Zerodha CEO Net Worth 2024
As the founder and CEO of Zerodha, Nithin Kamath has accumulated immense wealth.
- Nithin Kamath net worth in rupees – Rs. 22,526 crore
- Nithin Kamath net worth in dollars – $2.7 billion
The meteoric rise of his company Zerodha, along with his savvy investments and trading activities have contributed to his staggering net worth despite coming from humble, middle-class beginnings.
Awards and Recognition
Kamath’s entrepreneurial success has been acknowledged through various awards and honors, including:
- Startup of the Year (Bootstrap) in 2016 – Issued by the Economic Times to honor Zerodha’s remarkable growth.
- Selected as one of the 10 Indian Businessmen to Watch Out for in 2016 – Economic Times annual special edition to highlight the most influential industry leaders expected to shape the business landscape.
- Emerging Brokerage Firm of the Year in 2015 and 2014 – Recognition from BSE and Dun & Bradstreet.
Emerging Entrepreneur of the Year 2014 – Kamath earned this personal honor from CII.
Nithin Kamath Brother
Nikhil Kamath was born on September 5, 1986, in Karnataka, India. He dropped out of school after 10th grade and has no formal degree.
In 2006, he started his own brokerage firm Kamath & Associates with his brother Nithin Kamath to manage portfolios for high-net-worth individuals.
In 2010, Nikhil co-founded the discount brokerage firm Zerodha with Nithin.
Nikhil introduced a discount model at Zerodha to make investing more accessible to the masses by reducing commissions.
He also co-founded the asset management firm True Beacon with Nithin.
Nikhil Kamath is part of the 2023 Forbes billionaires list due to the success of Zerodha and True Beacon.
As brothers and business partners, Nikhil and Nithin Kamath have built successful financial services firms in India that have disrupted traditional brokerage models.
Key Takeaways from Nithin Kamath’s Journey
- Nithin’s story teaches us that it’s NEVER TOO LATE to follow your dreams. He built his fortune in his 30s after dropping out of college and working ordinary jobs.
- Identifying GAPS or inefficiencies in an industry and capitalizing on them with innovative ideas can lead to incredible success.
- Bringing costs down through process improvements and technology is key – Zerodha reduced brokerage fees drastically by building scalable systems.
- Building slowly but steadily without taking on investors or debt can be hugely rewarding in the long run.
Here are a few frequently asked questions that provide insights into Zerodha, and its founders.
There are no Institutional or Angel investors in Zerodha.
Zerodha’s annual revenue is $857 million as of March 31, 2023.
Zerodha is headquartered in Bengaluru, India.
Nithin Kamath’s wife is Seema Patil. Seema has led the quality team at Zerodha since the beginning and is now a director.
Browse More Resources:
- Ronnie Screwvala Net Worth 2024: The Richest Producer in Bollywood Joins Shark Tank India Season 3
- Ritesh Agarwal Net Worth 2024: The Youngest Indian Billionaire Behind OYO Rooms
- Peyush Bansal Net Worth 2024: A Journey from Startup to Billionaire
- Deepinder Goyal Net Worth in 2024: The Journey of Zomato’s Visionary CEO
- Amit Jain Net Worth 2024: From Car Dekho To Shark, This Man Makes Millions
- Shiv Nadar Net Worth Status in 2024
Final Thoughts about the Net Worth of Nithin Kamath
The incredible rise of Nithin Kamath proves how an ambitious entrepreneur with the right vision can create tremendous value in a short span of time. His journey reflects the potential of India’s startup ecosystem and talent.
Zerodha has made investing accessible for the common man through a customer-focused approach. Kamath’s stellar success serves as a blueprint for the country’s aspiring entrepreneurs.