Deepinder Goyal, the co-founder and CEO of Zomato, has built one of India’s most successful startups and established himself as a leading entrepreneur.
With Zomato’s growth and popularity, Goyal’s net worth has also steadily increased over the years.
As per reports, Deepinder Goyal net worth in 2024 is estimated to be around Rs 2,570 crores, highlighting his ascent as one of the country’s wealthiest self-made businessmen.
As he gears up to appear on Shark Tank India’s upcoming season, let’s take a closer look at Deepinder Goyal’s net worth, education, Zomato journey, and other investments.
Table of Contents
Deepinder Goyal Education and Early Career
Deepinder Goyal graduated from IIT Delhi in 2005 with a degree in Mathematics and Computing.
Soon after, he joined the management consulting firm Bain & Company as a senior associate consultant (Jan 2006 – Nov 2009).
During his stint at Bain & Company, Deepinder started working on the idea of a food delivery startup along with his colleague Pankaj Chaddah.
The initial idea was to provide a comprehensive restaurant and menu catalog to help people discover dining options in their city.
Rise of The Zomato
In 2008, Deepinder and Pankaj founded Foodiebay.
In 2009, Deepinder Goyal rebranded Foodiebay to Zomato to avoid conflict with eBay.
From a restaurant listing and discovery platform, Zomato expanded its offerings to add features like online table reservations and food delivery.Today, Zomato is one of the largest food delivery platforms with over 1.4 million restaurant listings across the world.
Rebranding to Zomato and Expanding Globally
Zomato also started its international expansion in 2010, launching services in many countries like South Africa, Canada, UAE, New Zealand, and others.
Over the years, it has grown to 25+ countries, cementing its position as a leading global restaurant tech platform.
Under Deepinder’s leadership as CEO, Zomato has expanded globally and diversified into restaurant discovery and reviews.
The company made headlines when it acquired UberEats’ India operations in 2020.
After acquiring UberEats’ India business in 2020, Zomato further cemented its position in the market.
In July 2021, the company had a successful IPO debut with a market cap crossing ₹1 lakh crore.
Deepinder Goyal Net Worth in 2024
Deepinder Goyal is the co-founder and CEO of Zomato and currently holds a 5.5 percent stake in the company.
According to DNA reports, his salary and net worth are as follows:
- In 2020, Goyal earned a salary of over Rs 3 crore as the CEO of Zomato.
- However, in 2021, his salary drastically dropped to Rs 1.96 crore, according to the company’s annual report.
- In the same year (2021), Goyal declared that he would not be accepting any salary for the next 3 years.
- Despite the drop in salary, Goyal’s estimated net worth in 2021 was Rs 2,030 crore as per DNA reports. This is attributed to the value of his shareholding and equity in Zomato.
- In 2022, Goyal received ESOP (employee stock ownership plan) shares worth Rs 387 crore. He donated all of these to the Zomato Foundation.
- The total worth of Goyal’s ESOP proceeds is estimated to be around Rs 700 crore.
In summary, despite a steep drop in his annual salary, Deepinder Goyal’s net worth remains high at an estimated Rs 2,030 crore in 2021. Today, Zomato’s founders’ net worth is 2,570 crores.
His wealth comes from the value of his equity stake in Zomato, along with ESOP shares worth hundreds of crores donated to charity.
Zomato Company Revenue
- In the September 2022 quarter (Q2 FY23), Zomato reported a net profit of Rs 36 crore.
- This was a positive surprise as it came after a small profit of Rs 2 crore in the preceding June 2022 quarter (Q1 FY23).
- However, for the full financial year 2022, Zomato had reported a consolidated loss of Rs 251 crore.
- In the latest September 2022 quarter, Zomato’s revenue came in at Rs 2,848 crore.
- This denotes a strong 72% increase compared to revenue of Rs 1,661 crore in the same quarter last year (Q2 FY22).
- In his letter to shareholders, CEO Deepinder Goyal noted that the growth momentum witnessed in Q1 FY24 has continued into Q2 FY24.
- He attributed this healthy growth to strong performance across all of Zomato’s business segments.
In summary, despite posting losses in the 2022 financial year, Zomato has rebounded strongly with profitable quarters in Q1 and Q2 of FY23.
The company reported 72% revenue growth in the latest quarter, reflecting the strong momentum across its businesses per the management.
Deepinder Goyal Luxury Car Collection
Deepinder Goyal, Zomato CEO, is known for his love of high-end exotic cars. His collection includes some of the most coveted supercars and luxury vehicles:
- Ferrari Roma – Sleek grand tourer with 620hp turbo V8
- Porsche 911 Turbo S – Ultimate performance icon making 650hp
- Lamborghini Urus – World’s fastest SUV hits 60mph in 3.6sec
- Porsche Carrera S – The perfect blend of power and precision
Goyal’s multi-crore luxury car collection reflects his aspirational vision for Zomato to dominate the food delivery space.
These selections of supercars align with his bold and driven entrepreneurial mindset to create India’s most valuable restaurant tech start-up.
Investments Beyond Zomato
Apart from Zomato, Deepinder Goyal has made some smart investments in various startups.
Some of his portfolio companies include
- Bira 91
Through these investments, Deepinder is expanding his wealth while also supporting emerging startups.
Future Outlook and Shark Tank Appearance
At just 40 years old, Deepinder Goyal has already built a fortune few can match. But he shows no signs of slowing down.
Along with Ronnie Screwvala, Deepinder is set to appear as a ‘shark’ investor in the upcoming 2024 season of Shark Tank India. Given his entrepreneurial experience, he is likely to make some smart deals and expand his investment portfolio.
With Zomato maturing as a business and his personal wealth rapidly increasing, Deepinder Goyal net worth in 2024 and beyond looks very promising.
He is undoubtedly one of India’s most successful entrepreneurs and an inspiration for the next generation.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the commonly asked questions about Zomato and its founder Deepinder Goyal
The wife of Zomato CEO Deepinder Goyal is Kanchan Joshi, whom he met during his college days.
Yes, Zomato acquired the quick commerce platform Blinkit (earlier Grofers) in 2022.
Deepinder Goyal owns a 5.5% stake in Zomato currently.
Zomato is an Indian company founded and headquartered in Gurugram, Haryana, India.
Zomato was previously called “Foodiebay” when it started operations in 2008
Browse More Resources:
- Shark Tank India Season 3 Judges Net Worth: Who is the Richest Shark?
- Amit Agarwal Blogger Net Worth and His Keys to Success as India’s Top Blogger
- Simon Sinek Net Worth: How He Became One of the Most Influential Leaders of Our Time
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma Net Worth: The Billionaire Founder of Paytm
- Ritesh Agarwal Net Worth: The Youngest Indian Billionaire Behind OYO Rooms
- Bhavish Aggarwal Net Worth: A Look at Ola Cabs Success
- Kunal Shah Net Worth in 2024: CRED’s Maestro
- Shiv Nadar Net Worth Check 2024: Powering India’s HCL Tech
- Nithin Kamath Net Worth: The 2024 Financial Story
- Varun Dua Net Worth Update: 2024 Edition
- Radhika Gupta Net Worth Update: 2024 Edition
Deepinder Goyal is the founder of Zomato, an online food delivery company in India. He wants Zomato to become a complete food delivery ecosystem in the future, delivering food from restaurants, groceries, meal kits, and more.
If Zomato keeps growing successfully, Deepinder Goyal net worth will likely keep rising too. Currently, in 2024, his net worth is estimated to be over ₹2,570 crores.
In short, Deepinder Goyal’s wealth and Zomato’s value are tied together. As the company expands under his visionary leadership, Goyal is on track to become even richer in the coming years.
His success highlights how entrepreneurs can generate wealth through building innovative, high-growth companies.